Monday, September 13, 2010

9-8-2010: Havens and Black Mamba!!!

This is from last week, but I was just recently able to send it due to our internet/power being out:

So, Im writing this email by candle light. Our electricity just went out and we are thinking that it is the transmitter thingy since it flickered on and off for 5 minutes before it actually stopped.
Lets see, yesterday
I tried to get online all day yesterday so I could call kinsley but my internet is still not working...hopefully we can get someone to look at it tomorrow and fix it. All of the macs can sign on but the pcs cant (the reason why you got brief emails yesterday). I went up to the havens after class yesterday for a couple of hours. I am just loving those kids! They are so sweet and it always seems to be that the babies in haven 3 are the happiest despite that all of them either have HIV or TB. On tuesday and thursday, I have class from 6:30-9:30! its nice because the rest of the day is free for me to do whatever.
Today (Wednesday), I had class from 6:30-12 and then after lunch at like 3, we walked to a soccer game about 1.5-2 miles away! Our guys even played on the team from namwianga! It was a lot of fun! After dinner, we had devo and then about 12 of us went to the clinic for devo at 8:15. Some of us girls helped with the childrens class. It was a lot of fun to get to sit and sing with the kids.
Okay, we saw our first black mamba today. Well, I didn’t but our night guard killed it! And don’t worry Momma- it is only about 1-1 1/2 foot long so not big at all!
All of the students at the college started classes yesterday so the mission has been more busy which has been awesome! Its so much better than us just sitting around and it pretty much being us running around. We are getting to interact more with the students and pretty soon we will get our tutors!
Emily and I volunteered to get together the list of all the haven babies and assign the babies to the students. I ended up with Sam in Haven 3, Bright in Haven 2 and I just got Tanner in Haven 1 today!
Tanner is named after Tanner in our group! Yesterday, 2 baby twin boys came to the haven. Their mom died after giving birth. She had a c section and it obviously did not go well. The baby boys are 9 days old and so precious. Quintyn was there when they came in so he got to name them so he named the smaller one Quintyn and the bigger one, Tanner!
Well, tomorrow I get to go on outreach and give immunizations

No comments:

Post a Comment